Monday, November 10, 2008

Good Goobley Goo




Remember when Grady from Sanford and Son used to say that line? "Good Goobley Goo." I've been saying it all day.
Whitman Mayo was his name. He died in May 2001 due to a hernia operation. He was a professor at Clark in Atlanta. He taught film.
My Papa's dad (my great grandfather) died of the same operation. My Papa needed the same surgery and wouldn't have it for years. He was scared and I didn't blame him.
After his surgery someone brought him a monkey stuffed animal that we named Rodney. Rodney would go with anyone that had to go into the hospital and Papa would always bring him.
Rodney died. Papa left him hanging from his rear view mirror and his face got so sunburned it cracked. His fur dried out and we threw Rodney in the garbage.
I have no idea how I got to this subject from talking about Grady's Good Goobley Goo.
I wish we had another Rodney in the family. Actually...I hope no one needs to go to the hospital. Good Goobley Goo!

2 comments:

Dave said...

I loved that show!

Alisa said...

Our dad LOVED Sanford and Son. He would sit there and crack up. I liked that show myself just for that reason alone! And I liked Grady, too, the big doofus. He was a professor? Good to know he wasn't anything like his ditsy character!