Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Love Garbage


You thought you knew me. I thought I told you everything but I left out this one little secret. I love to garbage pick, dumpster dive, make trash a treasure. tee hee hee.
It all started in the early 90's when my friend Ann and I decided to set up shop at a flea market in South West Detroit. We began our cash making with items from our own homes and made a nice little income from it. Eventually we ran out of stock and had to find more to sell to support our love for cash in our hands on the weekend.
We started garbage picking. Oh the stories and the fun we had. We would find great things from cities all over the Metro Detroit area. We knew which city had garbage night on which day and we would go to work. When people were moving we called it a jackpot! We would put on our gloves, take our time and fill the car up with great finds.
Once in Huntington Woods we found a jackpot. People were moving and left a TON of things at the curb. We got so excited, parked the car and started digging. She started at one end and I started at the other. We were laughing, showing each other what we found and loading the car up. Someone called the police. The policeman asked us Did you know that going through peoples garbage is not allowed in Huntington Woods?" We answered "no." The policeman said "I got a call from a local resident that said 2 drunk girls were going through the garbage and making a mess." We told him we weren't drunk and what kind of mess could you make by going through garbage?" He made us go to the police station, we gave him our names and let us on our way. That didn't stop us. We hit more jackpots in other cities where the people weren't so protective over their garbage.
That summer and many summers to come we kept enough money in our pockets for bingo, going out to eat and other fun things 20 year olds enjoy doing.
I still scan huge heaps of garbage when I see someone that's moving or just cleaning out their house but if I see something I want I will knock on the door and ask if I can have it. Who would say no?
I have found a Louis Vuttion suitcase and garment bag in Huntington Woods, I have a beautiful night stand next to my bed thanks to a resident of Farmington Hills and in my daughters room there is a fun parking meter that someone threw out from Royal Oak. I have no shame in my game.
It's fun and it's free. So, if you ever need something just ask me...I might have it in my garage.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Very nice! One question: do I need to wear latex gloves when I touch anything in your house?