Monday, October 6, 2008

IKEA and Meatballs

Who doesn't love a shopping trip to IKEA? Everyone and they momma love to go there for a day of fun, shopping and eating meatballs. Trying to manuver those carts with the wheels that go every which way but straight, the smell of the cinnamon rolls, the bargain room and the greatest part...the items they sell. Oh it's true...you have to drive around the parking lot and use $7.50 in gas trying to find a parking space and trying to purchase something and wait in the long long long lines is a little nerve wracking and the fact you have to pay for a bag to carry your stuff out in...it's still fun and it usually takes hours to get through the whole store. I usually get lost in that place. I hear many people do.

My husband and I would take the train to Toronto, rent a car and drive to IKEA since Canadian money back then was worth a whole lot more than it is today. We would make a nice weekend of it. Shopping for 40% off the already reasonable prices. We felt like we were getting a steal.

When I would go to Chicago to visit my sister I would always make her take me to IKEA in Oakbrook and she would say "did you come to see me or shop at IKEA?"

Now, IKEA is about 30 minutes away from my house and I've been there 2 times in 3 years. The thing is...IKEA stuff lasts forever. I can't get rid of it. I can't go there to buy more stuff. The stuff I have from there is perfectly fine. It won't get old and it won't break. Everything I've bought from there 10 years ago is still in style and still very functionable. The towels won't snag. The drinking glasses won't break. Even the damn light bulb in the lamp I bought in 1999 won't burn out. The plant I bought from there is thriving. I need a reason to go there and buy stuff since it's so close but I have no reason.

I guess I could just stop in for some meatballs and a picture or two.

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Or maybe you can come to Chicago and I can take you there just like old times!

Unknown said...

I dont know if you heard that Ikea is having a super sale this weekend. They are also giving people free breakfast! We should go and make a trip out of it....